Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Mornings

Open stage, windless instruments.
That early-morning alone with
wintry boughs cracking.

My knees are heaped around my ankles.
There is a crushed pretzel, its grains caught
between the rug loops, sticking, static.
Shadows are ideas from the windows: Muted traffic,
Church bells, someone searching for "Michael!"

The joints in my fingers have crumbled.
My hands lay beside me like empty plastic cups,
sideways and left behind.

Everything has happened already.
Elephants have fought here -
There are moon craters
where our feet danced,
there are mosaics
where we smashed bottles.
A discarded t-shirt flowers and molds in the corner.

4 comments:

Sa. said...

girl... i don't even...you know i love that end part... but the whole...

i just ...


yeah

here :)

crazygarbage said...

Sometimes I feel like Simon Cowell, but your poetry makes me feel like Paul Abdul. Drunk.

No, really! This is a compliment! :D

root said...

sarahwha? i dont know what that means.this isnt a recent experience, its me re-writing old writing...

and jeez rachel, i always have to google your references

Sa. said...

i was tired... but i'm still tired... so i shouldn't respond now.

but i jsut liked it.
and your words are always amazing how you put the next to eachother.
and i loved the ending.

and happybirthday babylove